CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 2, 2009

R Is For Reflux

Our poor little guy was diagnosed with reflux on Wednesday. We had noticed that Carter was spitting up alot with each feeding (varied between 2-7 spit-ups) and seemed to be getting worse each day. He was also acting fussier and in general more uncomfortable so we made an appointment to get him in with Dr. H, which I'm so glad that we did.

Here is some info from www.mayoclinc.com on GERD:
Normally, the ring of muscle between the esophagus and the stomach (lower esophageal sphincter) relaxes and opens only when you swallow. Otherwise, it's tightly closed — keeping stomach contents where they belong. Until this muscle matures, stomach contents may occasionally flow up the esophagus and out of your baby's mouth. Sometimes air bubbles in the esophagus may push liquid out of your baby's mouth. If your baby is uncomfortable, the doctor may prescribe infant doses of medications commonly used to treat heartburn in adults. Choices may include H-2 blockers, such as cimetidine (Tagamet) or ranitidine (Zantac), or proton pump inhibitors, such as omeprazole (Prilosec) or lansoprazole (Prevacid).

The first thing to try to make Carter feel better is Nexium every eight hours. It is too soon to tell if the medicine is working but we are hopeful. There are other prescriptions we can try as well as a special prescription formula but I'm hoping we don't have to go that route since I'm nursing. Carter takes the medicine like a champ which I'm so grateful for because I tasted a tiny bit that got on my finger and it tastes AWFUL.

We have a follow-up appointment next Wednesday so hopefully we will have good news to share then. I just want my happy baby back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment